We’ve been considering leaving Slack for a few years. While the free Slack plan was always limited, the 90-day limit recently imposed made us realize we overstayed our welcome.
If we were to leave Slack, it would have to be an open-source chat solution. As an open-source project, we try to support and use other open-source projects. This was a good opportunity to do just that.
During our research, we considered several options:
- Matrix with Element suite of apps. A federated messaging protocol and apps.
- Mattermost. A close alternative to Slack.
- Rocket.chat. Another popular open-source chat platform.
- Zulip. An open-source chat platform with a hosted cloud version.
We are a small open-source community and team, so our needs are simple:
- Ability to have channels (streams or rooms) for different topics.
- Unlimited message history and search.
- Apps for all devices, including Linux.
- The easier it is to maintain and use, the better!
After careful consideration, we chose Zulip to replace our Slack. Let’s quickly discuss why:
- Zulip is an open-source chat software.
- It offers full message history and quick search capabilities.
- It has apps for all devices – Windows, Macs, Android, iOS, and Linux.
- It even offers topic-based threading within streams (channels).
- Zulip supports open-source projects.
The last box Zulip checked for us was the ease of management. While it can be self-hosted for free, Zulip sells a Cloud version to businesses. The Zulip team was kind enough to sponsor a Standard plan for ClassicPress. That’s $8/user/mo value!
This means the ClassicPress team doesn’t have to spend money on a server to host Zulip (or any other chat app) while we get the benefits of Zulip’s Standard plan, which includes:
- Unlimited search history.
- 10GB per user file storage.
- and all other chat features.
Our resources will continue to be focused on the core development and ClassicPress infrastructure, a win for our community!
What You Need To Know
There are a few things you need to be aware of so you know what to expect:
- We are migrating Slack message history from 2018 until August 1st, 2023.
- All the user accounts will be migrated, which includes your email.
- Direct Messages (DMs) will not be migrated.
- Your Slack account will be migrated to Zulip, but your password will not! For security, Slack passwords are not migrated.
- ⚠️ When migration is complete, we will send a password reset email to access your Zulip account. ⚠️
- You also will have an option to manually reset your password using the same email address you used on Slack.
While we are migrating to Zulip, here are a few things you can do:
- We recommend you check out Zulip’s Getting Started Guide to learn more.
- Download apps for your devices.
- Our organization URL is:
- Keep an eye out for a password reset email from Zulip.
- Avoid posting in Slack since data export ended on August 1st.
If you have any questions about Zulip, don’t hesitate to ask. We’re here to help.
🎉Let’s say a BIG THANK YOU to Zulip’s team for supporting open-source software and sponsoring ClassicPress!🎉